I’ll prime the pump on the request I made in the last entry. I came across a list of things that sustain commitment to change. This was put together by a group of engineers and managers in a class that I led. I like what they came up with for the most part.
- Celebrate short term wins.
- Change rewards systems so that people are rewarded for working toward the change.
- Involve people in the implementation planning.
- Delegate and provide resources.
- Define scope and direction of ownership.
- Build business literacy.
- Create permanent vehicles that will endure. (I wish they had been more specific on this one.)
- Demonstrate symbolic leadership — be visible.
- Communicate up and down results and feedback.
- Build common languages.
- Translate into behavioral terms.
- Identify dumb things that must stop.
- Funeral for the past.
I hope this reminds you of a time when you were able to sustain commitment. If so, please send it along. Thanks.